This week The Ebonistas talk mommy and daddy issues, but let’s be clear – we are not licensed, professionals. Just two women researching this wild world we inhabit! We’re all going to need hugs after this.
Overcoming Toxic Parenting
- You are not your parents.
- You’re not the abusive things they say about you either.
- Your parents don’t have to heal for you to get well.
- Cutoffs may not heal.
- You don’t have to like your parents, but you might still be attached and love them.
- Active addiction or abuse by a parent may trigger you.
- Set boundaries and practice non-attachment.
- You can’t change or rescue family members.
- Indifference, not hatred or anger, is the opposite of love.
- Hating someone interferes with loving yourself.
- Unresolved anger and resentment hurt you.
Sources: Empathy. (n.d.). Retrieved June 21, 2020, from Thompson, C. (2015, June 20). CALIBE.net. Retrieved June 21, 2020, from http://calibe.net/ Team, G. (2020, August 04). Challenges Children Face in Blended Families. Retrieved June 21, 2020, from https://www.goodtherapy.org/learn-about-therapy/issues/blended-family-issues Raypole, C. (2019, October 25). Toxic Family: 25 Signs and Tips. Retrieved June 21, 2020, from https://www.healthline.com/health/toxic-familyHarach and Kuczynski, 2005; Oliphant and Kuczynski, 2011 (Lim and Lim, 2004; Rothbaum and Trommsdorff, 2007; Clayton, 2014Derlega, 1984; Monsour, 1992Married with ChildrenFamily GuyArrested DevelopmentGame of ThronesEmpire tv showShamelessFriendsScandalThe Leftoversempathyparentinggifted, Grey Gardenshttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mommie_Dearest_(film)https://micheleborba.com/7-deadly-parenting-styles-of-modern-day-child-rearing/https://blogs.psychcentral.com/imperfect/2018/07/15-signs-you-have-toxic-parents/