Where are the headlines for the thousands of missing women, men & children of color?
Missing In Action Cocktail
.75 ounces bourbon
.75 ounces Aperol
.75 ounces Amaro Montenegro
1 ounce lime juice, freshly squeezed
1. Add all ingredients to an ice-filled shaker. Shake vigorously.
2. Double strain into a chilled cocktail coupe. Garnish with a lime twist, if desired.
THE BLACK & MISSING FOUNDATION IS A WONDERFUL ORGANIZATION BRINGING THE MISSING PEOPLE OF OUR COMMUNITY TO THE FOREFRONT OF THE MEDIA. YOU CAN VISIT THE COMPANY HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT HOW YOU CAN DO YOUR PART.
“It takes all of our attention. News turns to it, police officers, the FBI — everybody does everything possible when a white woman goes missing.” – Dr. Kaye Wise Whitehead, founder and director of the Karson Institute for Race, Peace and Social Justice at Loyola University of Maryland.
A study by a sociologist at Northwestern University showed that not only did missing white women receive more media coverage overall, but also had higher coverage intensity. This means that even when missing women of color do gain media attention, they are given a fraction of the resources and attention that their white counterparts receive. | Fiona Legesse/The Cougar – The Daily Cougar
HOW TO REPORT AND IDENTIFY MISSING PEOPLE
- ACT IMMEDIATELY if you believe that your child is missing. Call local law enforcement first, then call the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children: 800-THE-LOST (800-843-5678).
- FBI parental kidnapping These parents are wanted for unlawful flight to avoid prosecution and parental kidnapping.
- International Parental Kidnapping Contact information and advice from the Child Exploitation and Obscenity Section of the Criminal Division.
- Search for Missing Children Photos and case details posted by the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.
- Amber Alert AMBER Alert is an urgent bulletin system for the most serious child-abduction cases.
- Federal Resources on Missing and Exploited Children A directory for law enforcement and other private and public agencies published by the Office of Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention.
Other missing persons
- FBI’s Kidnapping and Missing Persons Investigations Law enforcement authorities are looking for information which may lead to the location of these individuals.
- National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) This Internet-based tool allows investigators, forensics professionals, and the public to cross-reference records of missing persons and unidentified remains, and helps bring answers to families of the missing.
- Violent Criminal Apprehension Program (ViCAP) Lists missing persons and unidentified persons who may be victims of foul play.
Listen to the complete episode on Patreon.
Episode Release: November 14, 2021
Platforms: Apple Podcasts; Audible; Spotify; Google Podcasts; iHeartRadio, Pandora, Stitcher
Visit our Sponsors: Audible Free Trial & Pretty Litter 30 Day Risk Free
Sources: CNN, WBALTV, Food 52, NY Times, Wikipedia, Black Girls Must Die Exhausted: A Novel for Grown Ups, New Holland Brewing, #blackaf, Blackish, Already Gone Podcast, The Daily Cougar